Many of the articles on Tales of a GM can be grouped together by theme. While it is possible to use the Tags to find linked articles, this Index page offers you an alternative method for finding something of interest. Some articles appear more than once, depending upon their content.
The articles are categorized alphabetically. Within each category, the articles are then listed in alphabetical order, except where noted. Many of the entries have a brief note explaining the contents of the article.
- Find the Path, a hacked Becoming quest
- Find the Path, the book page
- Becoming, transformational adversarial RPG, from Brian Engard
- In the Orchard, the boardgames my boys like to play
- One Banana, Two Banana, a clever risk/reward game to play with young children
- Backstory Cards, Ryan Macklin makes character backtories easy to create
- Chase Cards 2: Hot Pursuit, Paizo cards to facilitate chases
- Combat Description Cards, a combat tool for GMs
- Invoking Destiny, Wyrd Cards as a Player-controlled Resource
- Plot Twist: Flashbacks, Paizo cards to give Players narrative control
- Project Dark, card-driven thief RPG, from Will Hindmarch
GM on Pinterest
My Life with Master articles
- My Life with Leader, adapting the traits for Master to any leader
- Our Lives with Master, brainstorming a gothic setting with Players
A list of the major Pages here on Tales of a GM. A more complete list can be found in the Pges of a GM sidebar.
- A GM on Pinterest, my articles based around images from Pinterest
- About a GM, a brief biography
- About the Tales, an introduction to the website
- Books, a list of my pdfs
- Contact a GM, how to reach me
- Conventions I attend
- Crowdfunding projects I have supported
- Faster Prep, articles to help you prepare for games more efficiently
- FebShoMo, a month of brainstorming story outlines
- Fortress of Crows, information about this cycle of my ongoing campaign
- Glorantha, a page dedicated to this amazing setting
- HeroQuest Articles, all about my favourite rules system
- Improv as a GM
- More Story, articles to help the GM expand the story at the table
- Resources & Links, where to find cool things on the internet
- Reviews of books and assorted geekery
- RPG Blog Alliance Carnival
- Tales of the Dice, my webcomic archive
- Warlock’s Journal Contest, archive of hosts, etc
Articles focused upon the Players
- Accessibility for novice Players
- Betrayal in the Throne Room, how my campaign imploded when Players disagreed
- Building Player Engagement, my three techniques
- Location Aspects and Brainstorming with Players
- Love Sparks, Part 1, the character sheet as a love letter to the GM
- Our Lives with Master, brainstorming setting with Players
- Player Growth in RPGs: social, intellectual and emotional
- Player Learning, how understand how Players learn a game
- Romance “Gotchas”, the impact of betrayal on Player behaviour
- The Scholars’ Game, involving Players in setting creation
- The Social Contract, thoughts on finding common expectations for a game
RPG Blog Alliance Carnival
Spark RPG articles
A list, in order of publication, of the series of articles I wrote based around Spark RPG, by Jason Pitre.
- Review of Spark
- Player principles
- Seven storytelling Principles
- Body Language in RPGs
- Character sheet as love letter to the GM
- GM replies to the love letter
- The concept of Hero as a nexus of change.
- The use of scale in Trollbabe.
- Examples for the first five scales.
- Examples of the last five scales.
- A discussion of actions in RPGs.
- Setting clear goals for Heroes.
- Combining the concepts of scale and goals
- Player input into the narrative using a list of options, to gain a re-roll
- The in-game risks of Player re-rolls
- The process of establishing relationships
- Use of relationships in the game
- Using pivot points and story structure to achieve a good ending
- Endings in Trollbabe
Over time, many of the articles in the archives are no longer current with my GM style, or simply merit fresh exposure. These essays are then Updated, given a fresh edit and sometimes additional content. Here is a list of such articles, starting with the most recent.
- Updated Brainstorming Locations with Players, ensuring setting is important, and drawing Players into the creation